Saturday, October 4, 2008

We're Still Here!

Well, I haven't updated in a little while. I've sorta been waiting around to see what was going to happen with Matt before I blogged. But since things just seem to be sorta dragging along, I thought I'd just go ahead and blog anyway. :O) Matt had an epidural steroid injection this past Wednesday. He got some relief on Thursday morning...and it last until about Thursday afternoon or evening. Not exactly the results we wanted. Nonetheless, he is still going to "try" to go back to work next Tuesday...just to see if he can handle it. He'll be back at the doctor's office on the 17th of this month and we'll see what's what then. So that's the short version of where we stand with that situation.
Fall is definitely here in Tennessee. The leaves aren't really changing yet but it won't be long. We're certainly enjoying much cooler weather. We've been down in the high 30s two nights this week. This morning, we have a nice toasty fire in the woodstove. I love it! I'm definitely a fall/winter kind of gal. We've gotten no relief from the terribly dry conditions here though. The creek has been nothing but a dry creek bed for quite some time now. Even the old timers around here say they have never seen it dry for this long. Remember I told you we were having to pump water out of the front pond because the cow pond was dry? Well, now even the front pond is almost dried up. It's nothing more than a big puddle. So, Jacob is making trips to the river (which is just about 1/2 mile down the road) to get water. I sure am thankful for a big ol' 17 year old boy who doesn't mind a little work...especially since Matt's out of commission right now! Jacob's really been a huge help. With water supplies drying up, I feel sorry for all the wild animals. Last night we heard a bobcat...I'm sure all the animals are on the lookout for water. Have you ever heard a bobcat? To me, they sound just like a woman screaming! That can be a little unsettling at nights. :O)
Below are a few pics we took yesterday. You'll be able to tell how dry it is by looking at the pasture.




I'm looking forward to the first frost...our persimmon trees are loaded this year! I can't wait to make some persimmon butter.
We're still trucking right along with school. We're already about 9 weeks into the school year...halfway through the first semester! Yay! I've noticed this year that the kids (especially the girls) are much more independent with their work now. That's a good thing.
So I'll be back with an update soon. Y'all take care!

No comments: