Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tater Planting Day!

Today, we were finally able to get potatoes in the ground! I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to dry up enough that we could get it done. :) Matt and Katie took a cow to the stock pen this morning, and as soon as they got back, I donned my handy dandy tater-planting hat and we headed out....If I'm going to be outside for any real length of time, I've got to have my hat on. The gnats this year are as big as turkey buzzards (well, almost) and pesky as can be! They swarm around your head in droves! Anyway...here's Matt discing up the ground....Matt bought new hoes for the girls, and they were oh, so excited! hahaha! Rachel especially was overjoyed....
When we first started putting the potatoes in the ground, the dogs were coming along right behind us and picking them up! We put a stop to that right away! :) Here's Katie girl hard at work...Spud stayed right with her once he figured out you don't eat the potatoes yet!Where was Jacob during this exciting project? He was cutting the grass. Lucky him. :) Tater planting day is always a big deal around here. I'm always glad to get them in the ground. After all, who doesn't like tatties, eh Gary? :)

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Our potatoes are about 18 inches high right now. Last week we got 13 inches of rain in 2 days and we were worried that we were going to lose them, but we didn't.

Pam said...

I would love to have a large garden. We have a small one since we live in the city limits of a tiny town.
We are homeschoolers too. : )

Jennifer said...

We just planted tomatoes, peppers, and water mellons last night. Afterwards I went inside and cut my fingernails short so that I can work in the dirt all summer! This year I am going to try to be more involved in our garden.

Thanks you for commenting on my latest article! Another person commented along the same line (babes in Christ need encouragement in convictions.) I completely agree with you and I'm glad you brought that out! As I said in a comment I just made on that post: There is nothing wrong with telling others of your convictions as long as it is done in moderation. (Maybe my article wasn't very balanced since I didn't talk much about the flip side of the bennefit of encouraging others.)

I'm so glad my mom has found you! From what she tells me it sounds like y'all have a lot in commen. That's great!

Carla said...

WOW, when you say tater planting time you are serious!! Mine are in the flowerbed this year. Looking pretty good (I have a puppy 'helper' too:). Your soil looks great!